Description: Amitriptyline as an adjunct to Pain Management
Amitriptyline (Elavil) as an Adjunct to Pain Management
- A Tricyclic Antidepressant; Noreipinephrine & Epinephrine reuptake inhibitor
- Neuropathic Pain
- PM dose for sleep
- Usually given at bedtime.
- Start with 25 mg PO (10 mg for elderly), increase q3-5 days as tolerated to a max of 75-150 mg hs.
- May take 1-3 weeks to note beneficial effect.
- Tablets 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 75mg, 100mg
- Side effects:
- Dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary retention constipation, reflux
- weakness, lethargy fatigue, paradoxical excitement
- BPH, closed angle glaucoma, seizure disorder