Milrinone is a bipyridine derivative and an analogue of amrinone with 15 to 30 times the potency. It is an inotropic agent used in the treatment of congestive heart failure (CHF) .
Mechanisms of Action
- increases cardiac output,
- decreases PCWP, and
- decreases systemic vascular resistance in patients with CHF.
- It also has peripheral vasodilator effects and diastolic relaxant activity.
- These actions appear to be related to the dose and plasma concentration of milrinone.
- comes premixed from pharmacy at 200 mcg/cc
- loading dose 50 mcg/kg over 10-20 min
- then 0.5 mcg/kg/min maintenance
- Loading Dose: Body Weight(kg)/4= cc over 20'
- Maintenance: 0.15xBody Weight(kg) = cc/hr
Milrinone: Detailed Description (pdf)